Courrier non distribué

Are municipalities allowed to withhold letters from the municipality council?

Citizens, clubs or associations often send invitations, concerns or information requests to the Aldermen and the local council of their community. They usually use the official e-mail or postal address of the municipality. DP MPs Guy Arendt and Claude Lamberty have now learned that some letters never reached the members of the municipality council, even though they were considered the recipients of the letter. They have now asked the Minister of the Interior whether this practice is legal and how it can be ensured that a letter arrives where the sender wishes it.

« Nombreux sont les habitants, associations ou clubs qui adressent des courriers aux responsables de leur commune, qu’il s’agisse d’une doléance, d’une information, d’une invitation ou d’une demande de renseignements. Ils adressent souvent leur courrier au collège échevinal et aux membres du conseil communal. Par facilité ils utilisent pour cela ou bien l’adresse e-mail ou postale officielle de leur commune.

Or, il nous a été rapporté que dans certaines communes de tels courriers n’ont jamais été continués aux membres du conseil communal, bien qu’ils figuraient comme destinataires.

Dans ce contexte, nous aimerions poser les questions suivantes à Madame la Ministre de l’Intérieur :

  1. Est-ce que le fait de ne pas distribuer un courrier (e-mail ou lettre) aux destinataires souhaités est légal ? Ne s’agit-il pas d’un cas de rétention illégal de courrier ?
  2. Dans la négative, est-ce que des sanctions sont prévues ?
  3. Dans l’affirmative, les responsables d’une commune ne devraient-ils pas informer l’expéditeur d’un courrier que celui-ci n’a pas été distribué à tous les destinataires figurant comme destinataires ?
  4. Que compte entreprendre Madame la Ministre afin que les personnes qui réceptionnent un courrier destiné aux membres du conseil communal transmettent celui-ci aux destinataires ? 
  5. Que peuvent faire les expéditeurs d’un courrier adressé aux responsables communaux pour que leur courrier arrive effectivement à tous les destinataires souhaités ? »

Would you like this parliamentary question to be translated into English?


Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on email
Share on whatsapp

More parliamentary questions

Pediatrics in Luxembourg

If the child is sick but the pediatrician is not available at the moment, parents can take their child to the children’s clinic, the Bohler Clinic or the children’s outpatient clinic in the North Hospital. In addition to long waiting times, parents from the north and east of the country in particular often have to travel long distances. DP MPs André Bauler and Carole Hartmann therefore wanted to know from the Minister of Health how many staff work in pediatrics and whether further services will be offered for the north and east.


When does the CGDIS – Psychological Support Group intervene?

As part of the CGDIS, the Psychological Support Group steps in when there are accidents, disasters or other incidents. Where have the volunteer teams been deployed recently, how many volunteers are currently committed in the teams and has the Covid crisis aggravated the situation for the teams over the past years? Our MPs Claude Lamberty and Max Hahn have asked the responsible ministry for clarifications.